Re: 13.0 RC4 might be delayed

From: Kevin Oberman <rkoberman_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2021 23:04:19 -0700
On Sun, Mar 28, 2021 at 9:36 PM Gleb Popov <arrowd_at_freebsd.org> wrote:

> > grahamperrin_at_gmail.com>

> > system.
> > and

> > This
> > the

> > be
> > > >

> > > I found the relevant commit. Please give me some time for testing and
> > > I'll put this patch back in the tree.
> >
> >    If you're going to put that patch back in, then AIO should probably be
> > made an option in the port config, as shutting AIO off by default will
> > have a significant performance impact. Without AIO, all guest IO will
> > be become synchronous.
> >

> Are you sure about that? Without AIO, VBox uses a generic POSIX backend,
> which is based on pthread, I think.

At least VirtualBax without AIO has some serious performance issues without
AIO. At least a Win7 guest does on certain operations. I would really
prefer better aio values. I don't recall who suggested those to me, but I
took them and made them more reasonable, but I am sure they are not close
to optimal and I don't understand their use well enough to get them right.
E-mail: rkoberman_at_gmail.com