Re: FYI: WITH_REPRODUCIBLE_BUILD= problem for some files?

From: Mark Millard <marklmi_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 3 May 2021 19:26:04 -0700
On 2021-May-3, at 10:51, Mark Millard <marklmi at yahoo.com> wrote:

> On 2021-May-3, at 07:47, Ed Maste <emaste at freebsd.org> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 29 Apr 2021 at 02:50, Mark Millard via freebsd-current
>> <freebsd-current_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Files /usr/obj/DESTDIRs/13_0R-CA7-chroot/sbin/ping and /usr/obj/DESTDIRs/13_0R-CA7-poud/sbin/ping differ
>>> Files /usr/obj/DESTDIRs/13_0R-CA7-chroot/sbin/ping6 and /usr/obj/DESTDIRs/13_0R-CA7-poud/sbin/ping6 differ
>>> Files /usr/obj/DESTDIRs/13_0R-CA7-chroot/usr/bin/ntpq and /usr/obj/DESTDIRs/13_0R-CA7-poud/usr/bin/ntpq differ...
>>
>> This is unexpected. Unfortunately I haven't looked at reproducibility
>> in a while, and my work was all on x86. This could be a regression or
>> a longstanding issue with arm64.
>>
>> If you install the diffoscope package (py37-diffoscope) and run it on
>> the two directories / files it should give a more convenient view of
>> the differences. (Or, if you can make a tarball of the differing files
>> I can take a look.)
>
> I no longer have the same content in those directory
> trees: newer rebuild and the same buildworld used to
> installworld to both places, instead of 2 different
> buildworld's. I'm also unsure how reproducible getting
> differences was.
>
> I can eventually do experiments to test multiple separate
> buildworld's and installworld's, but the machine is busy
> building ports and the llvm builds involved means it
> will be some time before I'd switch activities. And the
> buildworld's involve llvm builds as well and take notable
> time themselves. So my next comparison will not be any
> time soon.
>
> I'll let you know if I manage to generate another example,
> this time being sure to keep the data. If I try multiple
> times without finding any differences, I'll eventually
> decide "enough is enough" and let you know.

I've still got a long ways to go to do the first
actual comparison of builds.

But I'll note that I've built and stalled py37-diffoscope
(new to me). A basic quick test showed that it reports:

W: diffoscope.main: Fuzzy-matching is currently disabled as the "tlsh" module is unavailable.

As I'm not familiar with the tool, you might need to send
notes about how you want me to use the tool to get the
output that you would want. (And, so, I get to learn . . .)

===
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com
( dsl-only.net went