Re: should bsdinstall work?

From: tech-lists <tech-lists_at_zyxst.net>
Date: Wed, 5 May 2021 18:10:18 +0100
On Wed, May 05, 2021 at 04:37:12PM +0200, Daniel Dowse wrote:
>Hello J.
>
>you can try to run bsdinstall with script option.
>Create a file name it e.g rpi.bsdinstall and put
>

>export DISTRIBUTIONS="kernel.txz base.txz"
>export
>BSDINSTALL_DISTSITE="https://download.freebsd.org/ftp/releases/arm64/13.0-RELEASE/"
>
>bsdinstall zfsboot
>

>inside. Then run
>
>bsdinstall script rpi.bsdinstall
>
>and follow the dialog.
>
>This to be said, i haven't used it with ZFS but with UFS to create VM Images
>(amd64) successfully this way.

Hi Daniel, thanks for yr input.

Managed to get a little further with your instructions, but now the error is
"no root partition found. The root FreeBSD partition must have a mountpoint of '/'".

This happens after the disk is selected to install zfs-on-root

If I remove the zfs element from the script, re-run it then select auto
ufs, it gets a little further then fails at the point where it wants to
alter the MBR, with the same error message.

Maybe I'm going about this the wrong way. What I really need is an
installer. As far as I can tell, the only things available for
arm64.aarch64 for the rpi4 are bootable images - ie without installer.
--
J.