Re: WSLg update on 1-5-2021 - BSD / WSL

From: Rozhuk Ivan <rozhuk.im_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 7 May 2021 13:17:41 +0300
On Thu, 6 May 2021 10:57:16 +0100
David Chisnall <theraven_at_FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> Whether Microsoft or the FreeBSD project should do the work really
> comes down to who has more to gain.  Windows 10 is installed on
> around a 1.3 billion devices and any of these users can run Ubuntu
> with a single click in the Microsoft Store, so it feels as if the
> FreeBSD project has a lot to gain from being able to reach them.

Make job for free - make more money for MS.
Make win10 to support more features to increase windows value...

> If you believe that FreeBSD provides a better experience (I certainly
> believe it provides a better developer experience) than Ubuntu, then
> making it easy to reach every Windows users is of huge value to the
> FreeBSD project and community.

Manipulation detected.

> Microsoft, in contrast, is driven by requests from customers who
> spend money on our products and services.
> Around a hundred people
> commented on the WSL issue to add FreeBSD support.

Ok, do you job and add FBSD support to WSL.

> If you assume
> that 1% of people who want the feature commented, then this gives
> around 10,000 folks who really want a FreeBSD equivalent of WSL.

They give money to MS, they ask MS to do job for money.

> It's pretty hard to justify a feature in Windows that only 0.001% of
> Windows users will use. If you want to change that arithmetic, then
> next time your organisation is renewing M365 or Azure service
> subscriptions, tell your sales rep that FreeBSD support is important
> to your company.

There is many other hosting services that have FBSD support.
So this is MS/azure problem.