Re: CURRENT crashes at early boot on Lenovo T540p: rtsx to blame - 13.0-RELEASE crashes same way!

From: Lev Serebryakov <lev_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2021 16:44:59 +0300
On 12.05.2021 16:34, Gary Jennejohn wrote:

> Is sysctl debug.debugger_on_panic set to 1?  You should automatically
> land in ddb if that is set.  I suppose it is, since you posted some
> back trace in an earlier mail.  It also seems to be the default, at
> least in my FreeBSD-14 kernel.

  I see ddb report about panic, but it's all. Keyboard doesn't work, and panic occurs before any disks are detected, so there is no space for crash dump.

> AFAIK ddb has a command to generate a crash dump.  But I can't easily
> check that :(

  Yep, but console is dead & there are no disks for crash dump at this stage.

> It seems like there's a major bug when no SD card is inserted and the
> driver is in the kernel.  And a timing problem when a card is in the
> slot at boot time.
>
> Good to know that the module still works.

  Yep, smoke tests for module (without inversion!) pass: I could mount R/W SD card with release image, mount FS, read and write files, unmount FS and eject card without panics and errors. I didn't try any high-load tests, though.

> Difficult to debug without your laptop model in the hands of a developer.

  It is "pretty common" (but old) Lenovo ThinkPad T540p. I could provide remote access to it, but it will not help for such low-level and early panic :-(

--
// Lev Serebryakov