Re: CURRENT crashes at early boot on Lenovo T540p: rtsx to blame - 13.0-RELEASE crashes same way!

From: Marc Veldman <marc_at_bumblingdork.com>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2021 19:23:38 +0200
> On 12 May 2021, at 17:46, Henri Hennebert <hlh_at_restart.be> wrote:
>
> On 5/12/21 5:04 PM, Marc Veldman wrote:
>> Unfortunately I can only say “me too”, but on a different Lenovo laptop.
>> I’ve put my diagnostics in this thread, with the SVN revision in which it seems to have broken.
>> https://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=327822+0+archive/2020/freebsd-current/20201227.freebsd-current
>>  I’m willing to help debug the issue if someone can give me some pointers.
>
> Just to try something:
>
> Does disabling the WIFI in the BIOS (if possible at all) allow a clean boot with rtsx in the kernel config?

Yes. With wifi disabled in the BIOS, the laptop boots both with and without a card inserted.

Booting a recent GENERIC with the following /boot/loader.conf

#dev.rtsx.0.inversion="1"
kern.geom.label.disk_ident.enable="0"
kern.geom.label.gptid.enable="0"
kern.geom.label.disk_ident.enable="0"
kern.geom.label.gptid.enable="0"
cryptodev_load="YES"
zfs_load=“YES"

uname -a:

FreeBSD supernovo 14.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 14.0-CURRENT #0 main-n246598-30659d1dcbc:
Wed May 12 10:53:48 CEST 2021     marc_at_devnovo:/usr/obj/usr/src/amd64.amd64/sys/GENERIC  amd64

> can you also try a boot with a card inserted as in case (2) of Lev tests.

Booting with card inserted, wifi enabled in BIOS succeeds.

Booting with no card inserted wifi enabled in BIOS fails.

Booting with a card insert wifi enabled in BIOS succeeds.

Booting with no card inserted with wifi disabled in BIOS succeeds

The dev.rtsx.0.inversion flag inverts the behaviour: With wifi enabled
booting fails with the card inserted and succeeds with no card inserted.

Best regards,

Marc Veldman