Re: RFC: changing the default NFSv4 minor version?

From: Daniel Ebdrup Jensen <debdrup_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2021 10:25:38 +0200
On Thu, May 13, 2021 at 11:02:35PM +0000, Rick Macklem wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I believe that NFSv4.1 and NFSv4.2 are now mature in freebsd-current/main.
>I also believe that NFSv4.1/4.2 is a better protocol than NFSv4.0.
>(In particular, the sessions mechanism for "exactly once RPC semantics"
> is a significant improvement over the duplicate request cache for NFSv4.0,
> plus other improvements.)
>
>Right now, the FreeBSD NFSv4 client will use NFSv4.0 unless the
>"minorversion" mount option is used to set the minor version to 1 or 2.
>
>The Linux client uses the highest minor version supported by both
>client and server by default.
>I'd like to propose that the default behaviour of the FreeBSD client
>be changed to do the same, so that NFSv4.1/4.2 will be used when possible.
>--> The "minorversion" mount option could still be used to override the
>      above default.
>
>I have hesitated doing this change because it could be considered a POLA
>violation, but I think the change from 4.0->4.1/4.2 will normally be a
>neutral to positive experience. (To be honest, I suspect most won't notice
>the change.)
>
>How do others feel about this change?
>
>rick

Hi Rick,

      If I understand your plans correctly, you're not going to be making
      it so that minorversion=N complains?

      In that case, I don't quite understand how it can be a POLA
      violation, since presumably it'll fall back to NFSv4.0 if that's
      the only thing that's supported by ntpd on some other system.

      At any rate, I'm all for it since I'm already using NFSv4.2. :)

Yours,
Daniel Ebdrup Jensen