Re: RELENG_5_0 v. HEAD

From: Evan Dower <evantd_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2003 13:54:04 -0800
Perhaps I should choose my words more wisely. The ports system will allow
you to build it (nvidia-driver) on a recent HEAD, but not on RELENG_5_0. I
assume that this is because some change was made that increased its
stability. I had it installed anyway, for a while, but in the end chose
stability over tuxracer ;-). Maybe now I can have both. I would guess that
stability and performance have both increased in a number of areas since 5.0
was released. As a user of an SMP system, that may affect me more than the
average user, but as the owner of a lowly workstation (as opposed to a
server), maybe it wouldn't be so noticeable. Of course, it has only been
about two and a half months, but I get the impression that perhaps it has
come along way in that short time. I guess my question, if it can be boiled
down into a single question, is "Is HEAD _usually_ faster and more stable
than RELENG_5_0?"
Thanks again,
Evan Dower, a recently admitted CS major at the University of Washington who
would love for some nice FreeBSD developer to take him under their wing and
gently introduce him to the world of FreeBSD development (instead of being
an idle spectator)