Re: FreeBSD/alpha kern.flp flood

From: Ruslan Ermilov <ru_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2003 13:44:39 +0300
On Wed, Apr 02, 2003 at 03:24:59PM +1000, Bruce Evans wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Apr 2003, David O'Brien wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Mar 31, 2003 at 06:03:48PM +0300, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
> > > Anyway, I've committed the fix to release/Makefile that strips
> > > the .comment section out from the BOOTMFS kernel.  If you have
> > > time, you can exploit the effect of this by changing sweaping
> > > over src/sys/ and changing rcsid = "$FreeBSD$" lines to be
> > > __FBSDID() -- that would put these IDs in the .comment section,
> > > thus reducing the size of the stripped kernel by a few more
> > > kilobytes.
> >
> > Why can't the bits be built with -Dlint to remove rcsid's.
>
> This would make little difference, since using __FBSDID() or rcsid[]
> in kernel sources is a style bugs, and most of the sources are missing
> this style bug.

I'd hardly call it a bug, since style(9) explicitly says C files
should use __FBSDID().

> Most of the savings from stripping commits is from removing verbose compiler
> id "GCC: (GNU) 3.2.1 [FreeBSD] 20021119 (release)".

And I wondered why I get so huge savings where only few files
put $FreeBSD$ into a .comment by way of __FBSDID().  Sure,
``objdump -s -j .comment kernel'' is full of these.

David, can we get rid of the .comment section for the normal
builds too, or at least not put these long GCC strings into?

Cheers,
--
Ruslan Ermilov		Sysadmin and DBA,
ru_at_sunbay.com		Sunbay Software AG,