Re: ULE nice behavior fixed.

From: Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh_at_starjuice.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2003 13:58:17 +0200
On (2003/04/02 21:48), Bruce Evans wrote:

> > Some of us have been waiting for that behaviour for a long time (long
> > before you started working on ULE).
>
> Er, this is the normal behaviour in FreeBSD-3.0 through FreeBSD-4.8,
> so you shouldn't have waited more than negative 4 years for it :-).
> The strict implementation of this behaviour in these releases causes
> priority inversion problems, but the problems apparently aren't very
> important.  The scaling of niceness was re-broken in -current about 3
> years ago to "fix" the priority inversion problems.

I should have realized that "a long time" would mean different things to
different people, with respect to HEAD.  I remember being involved in a
flamefest on this issue a few years back.  You were involved too. :-)

However, are you sure the "nice 20 only gets unwanted CPU" behaviour is
actually what you get in RELENG_4 (as opposed to your heavily patched
version)?

Ciao,
Sheldon.