Re: Removing Sendmail

From: John Baldwin <jhb_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2003 14:29:30 -0500 (EST)
On 02-Apr-2003 Jens Rehsack wrote:
> John Baldwin wrote:
>> On 02-Apr-2003 Peter Schultz wrote:
>>
>>>I'm sorry for beating a dead horse.  A guy and I from tcbug were just
>>>trying to fix his postfix installation, he does not know what happened,
>>>it just stopped working.  There would not have been a problem if
>>>sendmail wasn't tied into the system so closely.  I'm just hoping core
>>>will say, "submit a working solution and it will be done," so that
>>>there's a little inspiration here.
>>>
>>>Pete...
>>

>> First, core_at_ is not the appropriate body for that type of request.
>> Both current_at_ and arch_at_ are much better targets.  Second, is
>> NO_SENDMAIL + the postfix port inadequate?
>>

> The problem I see with that is, that even a minimalistic base install
> installs things like sendmail, ppp, atm-stuff, g77 and so on.

Unless you are building an embedded device these are not really all
that significant.  If you are building an embedded device, you probably
are better off building an in-house custom release.  NO_SENDMAIL, etc.
can aid in simplifying the build of such a release and help prevent
breakage to an existing environment during world upgrades.  That seems
to be a fairly decent solution to me.

> I really think splitting the base in some sub-parts would it make much
> easier to do NO_SENDMAIL on my own. So I had to remove each not required
> file separately. That's no good solution.

 [stepping back a bit ]

I find an odd situation here whenever this topic comes up.  One the
one hand, people are always wanting to split the entire base system
up into small packages for each little piece of the base.  On the
other hand, one of FreeBSD's selling points in real-world environments
is that it doesn't have a bunch of little packages for the base system
like Linux distros.  Do people really prefer something like having
rpm's for /bin/ps to having one lump base dist for all of /bin, /sbin,
etc.?