Re: Building 5-CURRENT world under 4-STABLE?

From: Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve_at_sohara.org>
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2003 10:21:45 +0200
On Sat, 5 Apr 2003 10:32:20 +0300
Ruslan Ermilov <ru_at_freebsd.org> wrote:

RE> On Sat, Apr 05, 2003 at 08:36:05AM +0200, Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:
RE> > On Fri, 4 Apr 2003 20:41:14 +0300

RE> > 	I've a feeling that there are a fair number of folks planning
RE> > on going 4-STABLE to 5-STABLE when it happens. It would be nice if
RE> > that path were smooth.
RE> >
RE> The jump from 4.LATEST-RELEASE -> 5.FIRST-STABLE-RELEASE release
RE> will be of course supported.  The question here is should we

	That "of course" in this kind of context is one of the best
things about FreeBSD. Thank you.

RE> support say 4.8-STABLE -> 5.8-STABLE, that far?

	Oh well that's another matter, it's well known that upgrades
over too wide a jump are sticky and may require staging (at which point
sanity usually intervenes with migration instead).

--
C:>WIN                                      |     Directable Mirrors
The computer obeys and wins.                |A Better Way To Focus The Sun