Re: IBM T30 USB issue: kernel: uhub2: device problem, disabling port 1

From: Lee Damon <nomad_at_castle.org>
Date: Sat, 05 Apr 2003 11:38:03 -0800
I just doubled USB_PORT_POWERUP_DELAY from 300 to 600.  Same problem when
I hit the bluetooth button.   All tests have been done with the laptop
running on AC line feed.  I doubt it's related, but this system is
using APM because ACPI doesn't work right yet.

Apr  5 11:32:17 tylendel kernel: uhub2: device problem, disabling port 1

FreeBSD tylendel.castle.org 5.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 5.0-CURRENT #4: Sat Apr  5
10:07:16 PST 2003     root_at_tylendel.castle.org:/users/FreeBSD-5.0/obj/users/Fre
eBSD-5.0/src/sys/TYLENDEL  i386

Sources were sup'd 3 APR, 15:53 PST

nomad

> On Tue, Apr 01, 2003 at 10:02:47AM -0800, Lee Damon wrote:
> > I've just sup'd a completely clean source tree and compiled a new
> > kernel and world.  My kernconf is the generic one with pcm and apm
> > turned on.  apci is turned off in the hints file (because it breaks
> > the mouse).  I have INVARIANTS, DDB, and WITNESS turned off right now, for
> > speed.
> >
> > When I try to activate a Bluetooth USB device, I get the following error:
> >   Apr  1 09:57:26 tylendel kernel: uhub2: device problem, disabling port 1
> >
> > I am reasonably convinced it isn't a problem with the bluetooth daughter
> > card (but can be convinced otherwise, of course).
>
> This is a problem with the connected device.
> My expirience about this is that such devices have bad oscillator
> designs and notebooks tend to have a worse power quality - especialy
> when running on batteries.
> I asume that most of this device work if you give them more time to
> get ready after connecting than required by specs.
> It seems that we already wait longer than required, but you can try
> to increase USB_PORT_POWERUP_DELAY in src/sys/dev/usb/usb.h a bit more.
>
> --
> B.Walter                   BWCT                http://www.bwct.de
> ticso_at_bwct.de                                  info_at_bwct.de

nomad
 -----------                       - Lee "nomad" Damon -          \
play: nomad_at_castle.org    or castle!nomad                          \
work: nomad_at_ee.washington.edu                                       \
                                 				    /\
Seneschal, Castle PAUS.                                            /  \
                "Celebrate Diversity"                             /    \