Re: DVD burning under 5.0

From: Joshua Oreman <oremanj_at_webserver.get-linux.org>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 16:52:02 -0700
On Thu, Apr 03, 2003 at 10:24:21AM -0500 or thereabouts, Bill Moran arranged some electrons to write:
> Is anyone actually using DVD burning under FreeBSD 5?

Yep. It works.

> If so, what make/model burner?

Sony DRU600a (i think) - supports all formats except -RAM

> Also, how compatible are the resultant
> DVDs? (i.e. can I toss one in a Windows XP machine DVD reader
> and browse the files?)  Any problems or gotchas?

They should be fine, as long as you use ISO9660. UDF on dvd's isn't
really supported yet.

> Looking for success stories and real-world information.  I know the
> release notes claim compatibiltiy, but I'm curious as to folks experiences.

For the +RW disks, you can use burncd.
Example:
# burncd -f /dev/ide.node.of.your.burner -F format dvd+rw
# burncd -f /dev/ide.node.of.your.burner dvdrw file.iso

For -R and -RW, use dvdrecord. There are a few patches needed to make it compile.
Google may be helpful, or I can send my patched source tree. I don't have the patch
itself though :-(

> Also, I'm aware of the status of 5 as -CURRENT still, and I'm posting
> a second email asking for opinions on stability.
>
> Thanks in advance for any information.
>
> -Bill

Hope this helps,
-- Josh