Re: HEADS UP: new NSS

From: Craig Boston <craig_at_xfoil.gank.org>
Date: 17 Apr 2003 09:36:35 -0500
On Thu, 2003-04-17 at 09:11, Jacques A. Vidrine wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> I am about to commit a new name service switch (NSS) implementation.
> The new implementation preserves the nsdispatch(3) interface, and
> consumers of nsdispatch continue to work without modification.
> However, now the method_name argument (in addition to the dtab
> argument) is used to lookup backend implementations, which may be
> built-in statically or loaded via dlopen(3).

Yay!  I've been waiting for dynamic NSS modules for a long time.  Thank
you VERY much for doing the work on this.  Now I can start looking into
eventually using LDAP to replace NIS at my sites.  5.1 is going to rock
:)

Out of curiosity, how do the staticly-linked binaries in /bin and /sbin
handle this since they can't dlopen anything?  Do users handled by
dynamically-loaded NSS modules just show up as UIDs with no name in
/bin/ls?

Craig