Re: Auto kernel module loading

From: Daniel C. Sobral <dcs_at_tcoip.com.br>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 11:19:11 -0300
Alastair G. Hogge wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> Just the other day I was configuring/striping my kernel to the barest I could
> manage. I was doing this to hopefully reduce kernel build time.
>
> Now after adding 60 lines to loader.conf to load the modules I need, I began
> thinking is there a way for FreeBSD to load the modules automaticly at boot
> time itself?
>
> If not, would be hard to implement such a feature? How would someone go about
> doing such a thing? As I would be happy to give it a go....but don't know
> where to start.
>
> Does the documentation project have some info to help? I'm cvsup-ing them
> right now as I once recall seeing an article titled something like
> "Programmers guide to FreeBSD"

Plan once was for loader to identify the PNP IDs and load the
appropriate modules. What the appropriate modules were would be infered
from a configuration file.

I think Mike decided that wasn't such a good idea after all, but I
wasn't much in touch with FreeBSD at the time, so I remember it only
vaguely.

--
Daniel C. Sobral                   (8-DCS)
Gerencia de Operacoes

Outros:
	dcs_at_newsguy.com
	dcs_at_freebsd.org
	capo_at_notorious.bsdconspiracy.net

Never speak ill of yourself, your friends will always say enough on
that subject.
		-- Charles-Maurice De Talleyrand