Re: HEADS UP: new NSS

From: John Polstra <jdp_at_polstra.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 12:44:01 -0700 (PDT)
In article <20030418014500.B94094_at_iclub.nsu.ru>,
Max Khon  <fjoe_at_iclub.nsu.ru> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 17, 2003 at 08:35:14AM -0700, John Polstra wrote:
>
> > You might want to look at how libpam handles this situation.  In the
> > static case, all of the known modules are linked into it statically.
> > Then they are located and registered at runtime by means of a linker
> > set.
>
> statically linking pam_ldap to /bin/ls will be a nightmare :)

True, but why would /bin/ls need anything from PAM at all?  It
doesn't currently use PAM.

> we need either allow dlopen(3) to be used in statically linked programs
> or move to dynamically linked /.

Moving to a fully dynamically linked system sounds easier to me.
But in the past there has been strong opposition to the idea every
time it has been proposed.

John
--
  John Polstra