Re: test-strerror regression test

From: David Leimbach <leimy2k_at_mac.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 09:35:58 -0500

On Monday, April 21, 2003, at 09:02AM, Mike Barcroft <mike_at_FreeBSD.org> wrote:

>David Leimbach <leimy2k_at_mac.com> writes:
>> I guess my point was I didn't know how to make these "conform" when I
>> looked
>> at the POSIX standard for SUS.  All it said about strerror is that any
>> int should
>> work and return a string per the locale that is currently set.
>
>I agree with Tim; the main purpose is to prevent regressions in our
>implementation, not to evaluate conformance to any given standard.  In
>fact, I created the test to ensure I didn't break strerror() or
>strerror_r() while fixing a conformance bug in strerror_r().

Well yes... that is what a regression would be :).  But I think a standards
compliance test suite wouldn't hurt either :).

Whether or not we regress doesn't matter much if we don't conform to
the standard to begin with... it just means we haven't changed behavior.

>> > cc -O -pipe -mcpu=pentiumpro  test-wmemset.c  -o test-wmemset
>> > for p in test-strerror   test-wcschr     test-wcscmp     test-wcslen
>> > test-wmemchr    test-wmemset; do
>> > /home/tim/p4/wchar/src/tools/regression/lib/libc/string/$p; done
>> > PASS strerror()
>>
>> Failed for me due to failing assertions.
>
>What's the output of:
>
>ident /usr/lib/libc.so.* | grep strerror.c

I am not at that machine at the moment.  I just did a new
buildworld/installworld before leaving for work today.  I can check this at lunch.

Dave