Re: Laptop update...

From: Kevin Oberman <oberman_at_es.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 08:33:36 -0700
> Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 12:25:07 +0100
> From: Ben Laurie <ben_at_algroup.co.uk>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-current_at_freebsd.org
>
> None of you will remember I was having trouble with my laptop (IBM
> Thinkpad A31p) and RELENG_5_0.
>
> These have largely been fixed - the display works with the new X server,
>  and APM works OK.
>
> I do have two changes in device.hints:
>
> hint.vga.0.at="isa"
Should not be required.
> is commented out (though I've forgotten why!), and:
>
> hint.apm.0.disabled=1
>
> has been changed to:
>
> hint.acpi.0.disabled=1

I think you would be better off simply adding the acpi hint rather than
modifying the APM entry, but this is cosmetic. I changed the apm line to
hint.apm.0.disabled="0"

> loader.conf has:
>
> hw.pci.allow_unsupported_io_range=1
> snd_maestro3_load="YES"
On my T30 I have:
hw.ata/atapi_dma="1"
hw.cbb.start_memory="0x20000000"
I tried hw.pci.allow_unsupported_io_range="1", but it did not seem to
help. The sound on the T30 is an ICH3. To get it to work I added smbus
support to the kernel.
device	smbus
device	ichsmb
device	smb
device	pcm

> so, where does this leave me? Well, the display still dies if I am in X
> and the screen times out - I can reboot blind, but I can't get the
> screen back - am I missing a trick?

See my response to Robert Watson's post for a work-around.

> Sound doesn't work (there is no entry in /dev).
Try turning on the SMBus as above.

> The onboard WiFi doesn't work (Intersil Prism2.5) - its recognised, but
> it won't associate. An old Lucent WaveLAN (with recent flash) card works
> fine, however.

Works fine for me. Is the kernel built with the wi driver? I normally
load the driver (if_wi) at boot time.

Does the card probe? If so, what is reported? Do you get a printout
of the firmware level?

> But most importantly, perhaps, when I do:
>
> portupgrade -Rra
>
> it almost never completes, because I get coredumps in cc (and
> occasionally weirder symptoms, like illegal instructions). I know this
> is usually attributed to RAM, but I've tried swapping that out - so,
> what else can I fiddle with that might affect this (and the other
> problems)? More info available on demand, of course.

This is disturbing as I have been seeing similar problems on my T30 for
a week. Attempting to buildworld bombs after 3 or 4 minutes in various
places. memtest86 found no memory problems. I have not run any CPU
diagnostics, but was assuming a hardware problem. (I still am).

Unlike my previous experience with this sort of thing, it seems to
happen about the same whether the system is hot or cold.

Has any A or T series ThinkPad owner built a new CURRENT system over the
past week?

+R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)