Re: Laptop update...

From: Ben Laurie <ben_at_algroup.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 18:06:03 +0100
Kevin Oberman wrote:
>>But most importantly, perhaps, when I do:
>>
>>portupgrade -Rra
>>
>>it almost never completes, because I get coredumps in cc (and
>>occasionally weirder symptoms, like illegal instructions). I know this
>>is usually attributed to RAM, but I've tried swapping that out - so,
>>what else can I fiddle with that might affect this (and the other
>>problems)? More info available on demand, of course.
>

> This is disturbing as I have been seeing similar problems on my T30 for
> a week. Attempting to buildworld bombs after 3 or 4 minutes in various
> places. memtest86 found no memory problems. I have not run any CPU
> diagnostics, but was assuming a hardware problem. (I still am).

Interesting. I haven't tried memtest86 (where does that come from?), but
 PC-DOCTOR, which IBM supply, says all is well.

> Unlike my previous experience with this sort of thing, it seems to
> happen about the same whether the system is hot or cold.

Mine always dies part way through trying to rebuild the X server. Whcih,
I guess, is somewhat regular.

> Has any A or T series ThinkPad owner built a new CURRENT system over the
> past week?

Note that mine is RELENG, not CURRENT. I'm happy to migrate if its
thought useful.

Cheers,

Ben.