Re: Makefile in /usr/src/lib/libdisk WARNS change? PLEASE READ!

From: Terry Lambert <tlambert2_at_mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 22:40:45 -0700
Craig Reyenga wrote:
> I know how you feel, boss. I just started a thread about how my computer
> dies if I run out of memory, and all I got was a "me too" from another
> fellow user. No developers jumped in. It seems like unless you have a LOR or
> a laptop, you get no attention. And no, don't bother filing a bug report
> because it will stagnate further.

If you are getting a problem about running out of memory, and
you have at least some swap, that is a lot different than a
problem that happens when you run out of memory, and you have
no swap.

Assuming you have *some* swap, then the problem is probably
related to the new allocator.

If you can post a stack traceback for the problem, then I can
likely help you resolve it.

Be aware that if your system is under either memory pressure
or KVA pressure, the problem is only going to pop up somewhere
else, so you will need to iterate the problem a number of times.

If this problem is on 4.x instead of 5.x, and related to the
change from 1G of KVA to 2G of KVA, be aware that I recently
posted a patch to -stable that resolves the most common case for
that problem, even if people insist on not committing it because
they don't understand why it works (for me, it's enough that it
does work; the traceback that I used to come up with the patch
was unambiguous about why the crash was occurring; poeple with
the problem shouldn't really give a damn about "why", IMO).

-- Terry