Re: Makefile in /usr/src/lib/libdisk WARNS change? PLEASE READ!

From: Craig Reyenga <creyenga_at_connectmail.carleton.ca>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 22:53:46 -0400
>Hi,
>
>I posted the libdisk patch that was heavily ignored two days ago :).
>Without it I
>couldn't build libdisk and subsequently world.  If I lower the WARNS
>value
>in the libdisk directory Makefiel the source builds without warning and
>world
>completes.
>
>The problem is rules.c having a switch/case that handles only 2 of 7
>cases for the
>platform value.  Adding a simple "default:" [as my patch did] will
>repair this problem.
>
>I should tell you that I clean-installed FBSD 5.0-RELEASE on Saturday
>4/19/2003
>and started playing with CURRENT again the very next day at which point
>I realized
>world wouldn't build.  I didn't do much else so I can only assume that
>somehow this
>could happen to anyone else starting from RELEASE-5 today and
>attempting to build
>world.
>
>I have the latest version of the rules.c file [1.29]. I checked CVSWEB
>and it has
>the exact same code that fails for me in HEAD so I know its not my
>source.  The
>only data involved in the switch is an enum type from libdisk.h which I
>also
>have the latest version of [1.55].
>
>The error is
>/usr/src/lib/libdisk/rules.c:264: warning: enumeration value `p_any'
>not handled in switch
>/usr/src/lib/libdisk/rules.c:264: warning: enumeration value `p_alpha'
>not handled in switch
>/usr/src/lib/libdisk/rules.c:264: warning: enumeration value
>`p_sparc64' not handled in switch
>/usr/src/lib/libdisk/rules.c:264: warning: enumeration value `p_ia64'
>not handled in switch
>/usr/src/lib/libdisk/rules.c:264: warning: enumeration value `p_ppc'
>not handled in switch
>*** Error code 1.
>
>I know this isn't a bug in the VM system.  Its not solving a kernel
>panic or
>some other serious commit but it does pose a barrier to those who want
>to test CURRENT.
>
>Should I file a problem report?
>
>Dave Leimbach

I know how you feel, boss. I just started a thread about how my computer
dies if I run out of memory, and all I got was a "me too" from another
fellow user. No developers jumped in. It seems like unless you have a LOR or
a laptop, you get no attention. And no, don't bother filing a bug report
because it will stagnate further.

-Craig