Re: UFS2 (invalid format) boot problem

From: Daniel C. Sobral <dcs_at_tcoip.com.br>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 09:56:58 -0300
Tomi Vainio - Sun Finland wrote:
> I've tried to migrate my system to use UFS2 on all file systems.
> Creation, dump, disklabel done without problems I think because if I
> use UFS1 on new root everything works using this same procedure.  When
> using UFS2 I just get
>
> "Invalid format"
>
> FreeBSD/i386 boot
> Default: 1:da(1,a)/kernel
> boot:
> No /kernel
>
> Boot from old disk after this works also fine
> 3:da(3,a)/boot/loader
>
> Any ideas?

You need a new boot block. What I'd recommend is booting an install
floppy or cd, going to custom installation, checking the partitioning
(ensuring everything is correct), writing, and then selecting the boot
loader. I *think* this should work.

What I *don't* recommend is getting a fixit disk and running boot0cfg.
Last time I did that I spent three days recovering my partitions.

--
Daniel C. Sobral                   (8-DCS)
Gerencia de Operacoes

Outros:
	dcs_at_newsguy.com
	dcs_at_freebsd.org
	capo_at_notorious.bsdconspiracy.net

Whatever happened to the good old days
when sex was dirty and the air was clean?