Re: panic: vm_fault: fault on nofault entry, addr: fffffe0007e8e000

From: Kris Kennaway <kris_at_obsecurity.org>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 06:14:30 -0700
On Fri, Aug 01, 2003 at 09:00:44AM -0400, Andrew Gallatin wrote:

> The crashdump might actually be useful here.  You'd have only the
> trap() and vm_fault() frames, but at least you'd have information
> about the state of the vm system.

Two crashdumps coming up!  I'll move them onto beast:/j/kris/crash
together with the kernel.debug.

> I updated a UP alpha here at roughly the same time.  I was able to
> do a buildworld with the new kernel from sources dated July 30, around
> noon PDT.

The problems I'm seeing are only intermittent (about a dozen spurious
port build failures over 27 hours of package building on 9 machines,
plus 3 VM panics), but they're definitely ongoing.

> Is this GENERIC or an otherwise SMP kernel?  Just for the heck of it,
> edit GENERIC and get rid of the SMP option if its a UP box.  That's
> what I always run and I'm curious if that might be your stability problem.

It's a UP kernel.

Kris