Re: bge & vlan stranges

From: John Polstra <jdp_at_polstra.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 11:25:14 -0700 (PDT)
In article <20030801175724.F1C6D43F75_at_mx1.FreeBSD.org>,
Peter Edwards <pmedwards_at_eircom.net> wrote:
> John Polstra <jdp_at_polstra.com> wrote:
>
> [snip]
> >> I assume you mean, that after setting if_hdrlen,
> [snip]
> > I think you also have to set if_data.ifi_hdrlen as I said
> [snip]
>
> My fault: I jumped from one term for the same thing to the other
> without explanation. if_hdrlen is a macro for if_data.ifi_hdrlen.

Understood.  I was just trying to make the point that you have to
set that in addition to setting the MTU register in the hardware.

> I'm not a big fan of hiding those kind of details with macros, but I
> assume they're defined by smarter people than me in order that
> they be used :-)

I don't know why the fxp driver doesn't use the macro.  Maybe the
macro didn't exist yet when that code was added.

John
--
  John Polstra
  "Two buttocks cannot avoid friction."                     -- Malawi saying