Re: Anyone use WINE at all anywhere?

From: Bill Moran <wmoran_at_potentialtech.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2003 21:06:28 -0400
Julian Elischer wrote:
> Is the re ANYONE that uses wine on -current...?
>
> for that matter, a -current user that uses wine on 4.x?

I don't _use_ wine on -current, but I can tell you the brief experience
that caused me to give up on it.

I wanted to install wine to run Crimson Editor, which is a fairly nice
text editor for windows.  There's no Linux or BSD version.  The wine website
claims that Crimson works under wine.

I spent about 4 or 5 hours trying to get Crimson to install and/or run.  While
I was at it, I tried a number of other wine apps to see if I was doing things
correctly.  I tried Getting America's Army to work, even Windows explorer or
IE.  The only thing I ever got to run under wine was puTTY ... which is one
Windows app I have absolutely zero use for.

Eventually, I gave up on wine and cleaned all traces of it from my HDD.  YMMV,
but I thought I'd throw my $.02 in.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies