Re: NVidia glx stuff dies in sysarch(I386_SET_LDT, ...)

From: Bruce Evans <bde_at_zeta.org.au>
Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2003 19:55:17 +1000 (EST)
On Fri, 1 Aug 2003, Julian Elischer wrote:

> On Fri, 1 Aug 2003, Julian Elischer wrote:
> > I also noticed that if we disable the 'splat' mode, we'd break sysVR4
> > binary code as they do that.. (though it's #if 0'd out at the moment)
>
> not to mention linux (more important..) though I might add that that
> code could do with rewriting to get rid of a lot of "stackgap" stuff.

Even changing the semantics of i386_set_ldt() to support dynamic allocation
may break ABI compatibility with Linux (not to mention both API and ABI
compatibility with OtherBSD).  I wondered about this when the change was
proposed, but only had a quick look at an old version of Linux for API
compatibility.  Linux seem to have a different API.

Bruce