Re: INET6 in world

From: Bernd Walter <ticso_at_cicely12.cicely.de>
Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2003 20:17:36 +0200
On Sun, Aug 03, 2003 at 04:07:15PM +0200, Jens Rehsack wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> I've seen that several world daemons (rpcbind, telnetd, ...) are
> build with INET6.
> In real life, I do not know anyone who owns some IPv6 addresses
> but many guys who disabled INET6 on their machines in kernel.

You don't know me?
Not to speak that each IPv4 address owner automaticaly owns IPv6
space via 6to4 - see stf(4).
It's already available for everyone - just enable and use it.

> Now the daemons prints out a (IMHO useless) warning, that they
> cannot bind to the INET6 socket on each start. Especially on
> workstation, which might to be started each day, this confuses
> the employee (each one once, but me as admin each time).

No daemon explicitly binds to an inet6 socket unless configured
to do so.

> Now the question: Would a patch be welcome which enables INET6
> only if /etc/make.conf not contains 'NO_INET6=true'?

I'm much more in favour of adding NO_INET, NO_INET4 support, which
is what really is required some day.
I find it very strange to setup new IPv4 only systems in these days.
Don't lock out your future.

ticso_at_bwct.de                                  info_at_bwct.de