Re: INET6 in world

From: Bernd Walter <ticso_at_cicely12.cicely.de>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 16:08:23 +0200
On Mon, Aug 04, 2003 at 03:32:47PM +0200, Harti Brandt wrote:
> On Sun, 3 Aug 2003, Bernd Walter wrote:
>
> BW>On Sun, Aug 03, 2003 at 04:07:15PM +0200, Jens Rehsack wrote:
> BW>> Hi David,
> BW>>
> BW>> I've seen that several world daemons (rpcbind, telnetd, ...) are
> BW>> build with INET6.
> BW>> In real life, I do not know anyone who owns some IPv6 addresses
> BW>> but many guys who disabled INET6 on their machines in kernel.
> BW>
> BW>You don't know me?
> BW>Not to speak that each IPv4 address owner automaticaly owns IPv6
> BW>space via 6to4 - see stf(4).
> BW>It's already available for everyone - just enable and use it.
>
> What's the sense of enabling and using IPv6, if your infrastucture
> in the company doesn't support it (because of the overhead with routing
> (hardware vs. software routing)) and you don't have an IPv6 connection to
> the outside world. Well, you could ping localhost per IPv6...

That's chicken/egg - IPv6 never will be widely used if everyone thinks
that way.
The sense is to break this dependency loop by ecouraging everyone to
use it and not to make it easier to completely disable the support.
As I said: you -always- have an IPv6 connection to the outside world
as long as you have a single official IPv4 address.
Not using it because it doesn't fit in your current network is one
point, but disabling it in a way to make a future step to IPv6
harder is another.
The number of IPv4 only systems is already big enough - we don't need
to build new ones.

ticso_at_bwct.de                                  info_at_bwct.de