Re: Lucent IBSS mode doesn't work in -CURRENT?

From: M. Warner Losh <imp_at_bsdimp.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2003 12:13:06 -0600 (MDT)
In message: <a0600120abb53d8cdb296_at_[10.0.1.2]>
            Brad Knowles <brad.knowles_at_skynet.be> writes:
: bit annoying, but it seems to me that he's asking a perfectly
: legitimate question -- if things worked fine in the past (including
: the firmware versions at the time), and they don't work now, then why
: is a firmware update needed?

The problem is that the driver maintainers know it is a problem, know
that newer firmware is a workaround and haven't had the time to find
and fix the underlying bug.  Having people say that it isn't a fix
only a workaround repeatedly is annoying, since that's the position
we've taken from the get go.

The driver was massively rewritten to speed up intersil cards.  The
reason that a firmware update is needed is that the old driver worked
around bugs in the firmware, but the new driver doesn't.  The new
driver tries to increase performance on prism cards by using newer
features of the firmware.  These features aren't present in the older
wavelan firmwares.  Trouble is, I'm not exactly sure which of the new,
cool things causes the problems.  I've already identified 3 or 4,
which makes some lucent cards work on some systems, but I don't know
the others.

Warner