Re: problem with nvidia graphics card and -current

From: Glenn Johnson <glennpj_at_charter.net>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 23:11:59 -0500
On Tue, Aug 05, 2003 at 01:28:58PM +1000, Alastair G. Hogge wrote:

> On Tuesday, 05 August 2003 13:07, Glenn Johnson wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Aug 03, 2003 at 11:48:56PM -0500, wrote:
> >
> > > I was setting up a system today with an nvidia Geforce4-MX 440
> > > graphics card.  I am not at the system at the moment but the
> > > -current sources were from about 2:00 PM CDT.  I installed the
> > > nvidia-driver port (1.0.4365) trying various combinations of
> > > WITH_FREEBSD_AGP, FORCE_AGP_RATE, and WITH_NVIDIA_HACKS.  I
> > > get the same result.  The first time an X server is started,
> > > everything works fine, including glx loading.  After exiting the X
> > > session and shutting down the server and then at some point later
> > > starting the X server again, the system will freeze.  No messages,
> > > no panic, nothing.  The only thing to do is hit the reset button.
> >
> > I played with this a bit more tonight.  I rebuilt the kernel (fresh
> > cvsup) and the nvidia-driver bits.  I even tried loading without
> > glx.  I still have the same problem.  At this point I do not know
> > if this is a problem with the nvidia-driver port, a problem with
> > -current, or something I am doing wrong.  Does anybody have a
> > functioning nvidia card with FreeBSD -current at this time?
>
> Yes I do.
>
> I posted to the list a few days with a glx problem. However the
> problem was solved when I did an update one day ago. I didn't have to
> changed anything either. I didn't know what was wrong for some reason
> X would about with sig 10 or 11 when the glx module was loaded.

Well, after much hair pulling and trying various troubleshooting steps
I had one last idea.  I had the vesa kernel module loaded and thought
"maybe that is causing the hangup."  I disabled the loading of the
vesa kernel module in /boot/loader.conf and rebooted.  Sure enough,
everything worked.  I now have the nvidia card working and can proceed
with the rest of the setup for this machine.

Thanks for your reply stating that it works for you.  It gave me the
incentive to try "one more time".

Question for the developers: Is there someway to avoid having the
combination of vesa and nvidia cause a total lockup of the machine?  I
have a feeling I may not be the last person to try the nvidia driver
with vesa enabled, either as a module, or compiled in the kernel.

Thanks.

--
Glenn Johnson
glennpj_at_charter.net