Re: problem with nvidia graphics card and -current

From: Alastair G. Hogge <agh_at_tpg.com.au>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 13:28:58 +1000
On Tuesday, 05 August 2003 13:07, Glenn Johnson wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 03, 2003 at 11:48:56PM -0500, wrote:
> > I was setting up a system today with an nvidia Geforce4-MX 440
> > graphics card.  I am not at the system at the moment but the -current
> > sources were from about 2:00 PM CDT.  I installed the nvidia-driver
> > port (1.0.4365) trying various combinations of WITH_FREEBSD_AGP,
> > FORCE_AGP_RATE, and WITH_NVIDIA_HACKS.  I get the same result.  The
> > first time an X server is started, everything works fine, including
> > glx loading.  After exiting the X session and shutting down the
> > server and then at some point later starting the X server again, the
> > system will freeze.  No messages, no panic, nothing.  The only thing
> > to do is hit the reset button.
>
> I played with this a bit more tonight.  I rebuilt the kernel (fresh
> cvsup) and the nvidia-driver bits.  I even tried loading without glx.
> I still have the same problem.  At this point I do not know if this is
> a problem with the nvidia-driver port, a problem with -current, or
> something I am doing wrong.  Does anybody have a functioning nvidia card
> with FreeBSD -current at this time?
Yes I do.

I posted to the list a few days with a glx problem. However the problem was
solved when I did an update one day ago. I didn't have to changed anything
either. I didn't know what was wrong for some reason X would about with sig
10 or 11 when the glx module was loaded.

have you checked out:
http://www.soulwax.net/nvidia/faq.shtml

They list a whole bunch of things to try.