Re: <VIA 82C686B UDMA100 controller> port 0xd800-0xd80f at device7.1 on pci0

From: Soeren Schmidt <sos_at_spider.deepcore.dk>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 08:32:55 +0200 (CEST)
It seems Doug White wrote:
> On Sun, 3 Aug 2003, ryan chris wrote:
>

> > with dma enabled, a sysinstall will only work under the minimal install,
> > and after a certain point, apparently using too much hard drive space
> > (showed up with a tar
> > -xvf ports.tar) causes a panic with anic errors
>
> Have you tried replacing the IDE cable(s)? I've seen panics and other
> erratic behavior due to bad cables, or a defective 60 pin cable, or even a
> 30 pin cable that somehow got detected as a 60 pin.

Uhm, the cables are 40 vs 80 conductors :)

Anyhow I'm pretty sure this problem is because of the buggy VIA 82C686B
southbridge and a matching BIOS that doesn't setup the right workarounds
for it to function like intended. Clearly the tweaks we install are not
enough on this baby.

Recommended action is to update (well sometimes downgrade) the BIOS to
a version that makes things work...

-Søren