Re: problem with nvidia graphics card and -current

From: Glenn Johnson <glennpj_at_charter.net>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 22:10:55 -0500
On Mon, Aug 04, 2003 at 11:53:05PM -0500, Glenn Johnson wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 05, 2003 at 02:38:05PM +1000, Alastair G. Hogge wrote:

> > > I'm running a system with the VESA stuff compiled in; the nvidia
> > > drivers work just fine.
> > >
> > > IIRC you're running with ACPI; try not doing that.
> >
> > I'm also running a system with the vesa module loaded. I'm also
> > running ACPI.
>
> Hmm, the only other thing I can offer here is that I had the console
> screen set to "-g 100x37 VESA_800x600".  How does that fit into
> the picture?  Perhaps I could have left vesa in but just set the
> resolution to something else.

Well, I can have the vesa kernel module loaded and use standard modes
for the console and all is well. However, If I use any of the VESA video
modes, the nvidia driver will not work.  I can start the X server once,
any subsequent attempt to restart the X server will cause the machine to
freeze up if any of the VESA modes for the console are loaded.

--
Glenn Johnson
glennpj_at_charter.net