Re: bootstrapping network (bcm) on Dell D800

From: David Gilbert <dgilbert_at_dclg.ca>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2003 12:10:58 -0400

Richard> I finally figureed out that the removable floppy (which works
Richard> both as an external usb and internall) is treated as a scsi
Richard> device, not /dev/fd0.  So I tried moving the drivers from the
Richard> up to date machine.  No dice; they depend on another changed
Richard> function.

Richard> So I borrowed a usb zip drive, and found that a bzip2'd
Richard> source tree is only 83M.  I've moved that, and have a new
Richard> kernel compiling from a source tree updated this morning.  Am
Richard> I going to have to do anything else to get the bge device
Richard> detected, or will it just kernel installation and reboot take
Richard> care of this?

The bge device is in the kernel by default... so as long as you didn't
delete it, you'll be fine.

I forgot to mention that the system appears to be PXE compatible... so
you could PXE boot a newly compiled kernel (you need pxeboot and
kernel.GENERIC with new drivers on the boot server.  You can even have
a kernel with the mfsroot compiled into it on the boot server).

Dave.

|David Gilbert, Independent Contractor.       | Two things can only be     |
|Mail:       dave_at_daveg.ca                    |  equal if and only if they |
|http://daveg.ca                              |   are precisely opposite.  |