Re: USB da(4) quirks deprecated

From: Kevin Oberman <oberman_at_es.net>
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2003 08:12:39 -0700
Nate,

I have successfully tested and the MuVo needs both DA_Q_NO_SYNC_CACHE
and DA_Q_NO_PREVENT (as per PR/53094) to work.

One question which pops into my mind is why the inability of a device
to do a cache sync should be fatal. I suspect that most flash devices
don't really even have a cache and few do anything but return an error
when asked to synchronize.

Why not test this when the device is initialized (and maybe PREVENT,
as well) and set the device to operate accordingly from that point
on,probably with a message that the device does not honor cache sync
requests. This would greatly enhance the odds of a device "just
working", though I may not fully understand the implications of such a
change on a more global basis.

In any case, the MuVo does require something beyond the norm
(disabling of the prevent stuff) to work and I may be patching my
driver for a long time to come.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)