Re: help! 5.1 doesn't want to start my nic :)

From: Charlie Schluting <charlie_at_schluting.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2003 14:22:53 -0700 (PDT)
On Fri, 8 Aug 2003, leafy wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 07, 2003 at 07:26:28PM -0700, Charlie Schluting wrote:
> > Ok, I found that /etc/rc.d/netif was missing. I moved the one from
> > /usr/src/etc/rc.d into place, and I'm thinking that will fix it.
> >
> > I don't remember telling it NOT to move this file in mergemaster...
> > Thanks to everyone who responded.
> > --Charlie
>
> I had the problem a few days ago with exactly the same file. I solution was to
> cd /usr/src/etc/rc.d && make install

Well, I did what the previous poster suggested, and upon reboot, it
still didn't come up.

I ran /etc/rc.d/netif manually, and it said it couldn't find
/etc/network.subr, so I copied that over manually, rebooted, and the
interfaces still didn't start. But, if I run /etc/rc.d/netif manually,
it starts just fine now! Yes, the file has execute permissions for all.

Anyone know what's up with that? Can anyone give me the rundown on
how/what FreeBSD does at boot time to start the network interface? Maybe
something is supposed to be running that script, but isn't? Another
missing script?

Thanks,
--Charlie