Re: help! 5.1 doesn't want to start my nic :)

From: Scot W. Hetzel <hetzels_at_westbend.net>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2003 18:36:42 -0500
From: "Charlie Schluting" <charlie_at_schluting.com>
> I ran /etc/rc.d/netif manually, and it said it couldn't find
> /etc/network.subr, so I copied that over manually, rebooted, and the
> interfaces still didn't start. But, if I run /etc/rc.d/netif manually,
> it starts just fine now! Yes, the file has execute permissions for all.
>
> Anyone know what's up with that? Can anyone give me the rundown on
> how/what FreeBSD does at boot time to start the network interface? Maybe
> something is supposed to be running that script, but isn't? Another
> missing script?

Upon boot up, FreeBSD runs the /etc/rc script.  Check that you have the
latest rc script by comparing it with the one in /usr/src/etc.

diff -u /etc/rc /usr/src/etc/rc

There should be no differences between these files.  You should also have
the following rc* files in the /etc directory:

# ls /etc/rc*
/etc/rc                 /etc/rc.firewall6       /etc/rc.sendmail
/etc/rc.subr
/etc/rc.conf            /etc/rc.firewall        /etc/rc.resume
/etc/rc.shutdown        /etc/rc.suspend

Also the /etc/rc.d directory should contain 145 scripts.

Scot