Re: GEOM/vinum compatibility (was: vinum lock panic at startup -current)

From: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk_at_phk.freebsd.dk>
Date: Sat, 09 Aug 2003 06:38:51 +0200
In message <20030809020121.GC1741_at_wantadilla.lemis.com>, "Greg 'groggy' Lehey"
writes:

>> and it seems that vinum does not respect the D_NOGIANT flag which
>> GEOM recently started setting.
>
>Probably because it didn't know about it.  As I've said before, it
>would be nice to be informed about the changes you're making,
>particularly given your stated intention of doing no work on Vinum.

I had the choice between supporting sos_at_ effort to de-Giantize ATA
or wait for the non-maintainer of vinum to possibly react to his email
so I chose the former as being more beneficial to the project.

>Could you please give details (privately if you want, but I think this
>could be of interest to other people too).

See sys/fs/specfs/specfs_vnops.c, that is probably faster.