USB Printer?

From: Daniel Nielsen <djn_at_daimi.au.dk>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 13:02:51 +0200
Hi.

I installed 5.1-RELEASE on a compuiter with a nforce2 mobo, worked
nice... Then I bought a Brother-5050 Laser printer
(Postscript). Installed and configured cups. cups worked fine. Then I
realized, the printer only works if it is turned on before my freebsd
boots.

When I power it up, it is detected by the freebsd usb-system:

zits root # dmesg | grep ulpt
ulpt0: Brother HL-5050, rev 2.00/1.00, addr 3, iclass 7/1
ulpt0: using bi-directional mode
zits root #

And when I turn it off:
zits root # dmesg | grep ulpt
<snip>
ulpt0: at uhub0 port 2 (addr 3) disconnected
ulpt0: detached
zits root #

but when I send a job to the printer, the CUPS usb backend just
hangs, locking /dev/ulpt0

I tried cat /root/some-file > /dev/ulpt0 , and it also just hangs.

If the printer enters standby after boot, then it also doesn't print,
with the same symptoms.

I then tried upgrading to -CURRENT (about a week ago), but it still
doesn't work. It works perfectly from Knoppix 3.2 and winXP, so I'm
pretty sure it is a freeBSD usb problem. I should also mention, that
I'm using a USB mouse, and it works fine even disconnecting and
reconnecting after boot.

Does anyone know what I could do to get it working? Or where to look
for more debugging info?

/Daniel

--
There are no great men, only great challenges that ordinary men are forced
by circumstances to meet.