Re: HEADS UP: dynamic root support now in the tree

From: Gordon Tetlow <gordont_at_gnf.org>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 16:36:40 -0700
On Sun, Aug 17, 2003 at 06:48:23PM -0700, David O'Brien wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 17, 2003 at 01:54:38AM -0700, Gordon Tetlow wrote:
> > I just got through with my commit spree to enable users to build /bin
> > and /sbin dynamically linked. To do this required a fair amount of
> > tweaking and moving around libraries and such dangerous equipment as
>
> I think this is a more correct way to change the install locations of the
> / needed libs.  Your current way makes the real location a "2nd class
> citizen" vs. /usr/lib for any needed compatibility links.
>
> I'd like to commit this:

[snip patch changing SHLIBDIR to LIBDIR]

I think this is a bad idea because all of the .a archives will end up in
/lib. Seeing how those aren't necessary for running binaries in /bin and
/sbin, I'd rather they stay in /usr/lib (which means LIBDIR shouldn't
change if I'm reading the Makefile glue correctly).

-gordon