Re: ACPI on Tyan Motherboard

From: David O'Brien <obrien_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 16:28:33 -0700
On Tue, Aug 19, 2003 at 01:58:22PM -0700, Alex Zepeda wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 19, 2003 at 09:54:21AM -0700, David O'Brien wrote:
>
> > Sorry but telling experiences with non-Tyan boards don't help one bit.
> > (too bad I don't have Bill Paul's finesse in getting this point across)
>
> Actually, yes it does... well it's relevant in this case.
>
> ATX systems respond to holding the power button down for at least 4
> seconds by doing a hard power down.  I believe this is part of the
> applicable specifications.

The thread is specifically about the Tyan S2462:

    I have a Tyan S2462 Thunder K7 motherboard.  I was hoping to get
    power-down to work.  So I installed FreeBSD current with ACPI
    enabled.  When I typed "shutdown -p now" the computer halted, and
    then the video card switched off, and the fans kept running.  The
    computer was frozen - even the power-off power-on button wouldn't
    work.

    Actually the power-off button doesn't work at all under
    FreeBSD-current.  (It is a soft power-off button that dmesg shows is
    detected by the OS.)

    I should add that power-down works great with Windows 2000.  Also,
    the power-off button works properly with FreeBSD-stable.

perhaps people aren't reading before replying.

I also own a Tyan S2462 Thunder K7 system and it behaves just as the
poster stated.