Re: GCC 3.3.1-RELEASE is coming

From: Loren James Rittle <rittle_at_latour.rsch.comm.mot.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 18:59:20 -0500 (CDT)
Alexander Kabaev wrote:
>> I am about to import an official GCC 3.3.1-release into our
>> source tree. Please hold your updates until 'all clear' message
>> is posted.
> Done.

Alex, nice.  Thank you for making -Wno-system-headers work in the
system compiler (henceforth, users that want to compile C++
e.g. `-pedantic -Werror' should add that option for best results).

Trying to consider how to best pull important differences back into
the FSF tree.  Will this be true for all FreeBSD systems going forward?

<       %{!dynamic-linker:-dynamic-linker /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1}}
---
>       %{!dynamic-linker:-dynamic-linker /libexec/ld-elf.so.1}}

BTW, it seems to be inconsistent for the various CPUs in the system
compiler (e.g. missed in ia64).  What is the official trigger point of
the change in the system?  Given the nature of the change, may I
assume that a transition period exists during all of FreeBSD 5?

Regarding this thunk, also in config/alpha/freebsd.h (not in FSF but
in my mainline tree with a slightly less hostile comment):

>  #undef        STARTFILE_SPEC
>  #define STARTFILE_SPEC \
>    "%{!shared: \
>       %{pg:gcrt1.o%s} %{!pg:%{p:gcrt1.o%s} %{!p:crt1.o%s}}}\
>    crti.o%s %{shared:crtbeginS.o%s}%{!shared:crtbegin.o%s}"

Pending a better reworking in the FSF tree to clarify what is strictly
per-CPU vs. per-CPU/OS, that could be replaced with:

/* Reset our STARTFILE_SPEC which was properly set in config/freebsd.h
   but trashed by config/<cpu>/<file.h>. */
#undef  STARTFILE_SPEC
#define STARTFILE_SPEC FBSD_STARTFILE_SPEC

In config/i386/freebsd.h we have a similar override (logically same
but different format) which should be similarly replaced (or removed
since it appears it may not be strictly needed there anymore).  I will
install patches in the FSF tree for these issues to both mainline and
3.3.X branch.

Speaking of config/i386/freebsd.h, the difference against the FSF tree
is quite large but most of it is not required anymore.  The difference
in all other config/<cpu>/freebsd.h files is only a line or two.  If I
proposed a /usr/src/contrib/gcc/ diff such that it produced the exact
same system compiler yet was the smallest delta from the FSF tree,
would you be interested?  I'd like to get that difference down to make
it easiler to spot real differences going forward.

Regards,
Loren