Re: GCC 3.3.1-RELEASE is coming

From: David O'Brien <obrien_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 09:57:55 -0700
On Fri, Aug 22, 2003 at 06:59:20PM -0500, Loren James Rittle wrote:
> Trying to consider how to best pull important differences back into
> the FSF tree.  Will this be true for all FreeBSD systems going forward?
>
> <       %{!dynamic-linker:-dynamic-linker /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1}}
> ---
> >       %{!dynamic-linker:-dynamic-linker /libexec/ld-elf.so.1}}
>
> BTW, it seems to be inconsistent for the various CPUs in the system
> compiler (e.g. missed in ia64).

Yes it will be true going forward.  ia64 was skipped because it was on
the vendor branch and I haven't yet created a FSF submittable patch for
you. :-)

> What is the official trigger point of
> the change in the system?  Given the nature of the change, may I
> assume that a transition period exists during all of FreeBSD 5?

It will be in my patch to you.

> Regarding this thunk, also in config/alpha/freebsd.h (not in FSF but
> in my mainline tree with a slightly less hostile comment):

The FSF was hostile towards FreeBSD/alpha -- the favor is being
returned.  I pointed out the problem and got "I dont' care" from them.

> /* Reset our STARTFILE_SPEC which was properly set in config/freebsd.h
>    but trashed by config/<cpu>/<file.h>. */
> #undef  STARTFILE_SPEC
> #define STARTFILE_SPEC FBSD_STARTFILE_SPEC

That said, good catch!  I don't know why I didn't do it that way before.
Committed to FreeBSD tree.

> I will install patches in the FSF tree for these issues to both
> mainline and 3.3.X branch.

Thank you.  Can you also sync up the code style from FreeBSD into the FSF
tree?

> Speaking of config/i386/freebsd.h, the difference against the FSF tree
> is quite large but most of it is not required anymore.  The difference
> in all other config/<cpu>/freebsd.h files is only a line or two.  If I
> proposed a /usr/src/contrib/gcc/ diff such that it produced the exact
> same system compiler yet was the smallest delta from the FSF tree,
> would you be interested?  I'd like to get that difference down to make
> it easiler to spot real differences going forward.

I would like the differences to be taken care of in the FSF tree.  You
know the reason there is such a large diff (and it really irritates me).
Because of that reason  committing the changes into the FSF tree has been
too high a PITA.  I had hoped you would take a diff from FreeBSD's
src/contrib/gcc to the FSF tree and commit it to the FSF tree.

--
-- David  (obrien_at_FreeBSD.org)