Re: KDE Konsole, crashes, on a SIGABRT...

From: Arjan van Leeuwen <avleeuwen_at_piwebs.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 19:06:52 +0200
On Sunday 24 August 2003 18:55, Daniel C. Sobral wrote:
> Arjan van Leeuwen wrote:
> >
> > (...)

> >>I can't explain it.  Someone is going to have to debug konsole and
> >>figure out what is going on.
> >
> > It is a problem that has appeared in the last two weeks, and it was
> > triggered by a change in (apparently) libc_r as well as libkse, as it
> > doesn't start with both now. With the patch that Michael Nottebrock
> > provided on this list, it was perfectly possible to run Konsole with
> > libkse (and libc_r) on a -CURRENT from august 15.
> >
> > So something was broken in the threads code between august 15 and now. I
> > don't think that we should point to Konsole here, something went wrong in
> > the threads code.
>
> Konsole_grantpty was using a buggy hack, which worked because of a bug
> in libc_r. Maybe the bug in libc_r was fixed, thereby making it work
> like libkse and libthr (ie, crashing konsole).
>
> Fix: remove konsole_grantpty.
>
> If that does not work, just tell me and I'll eat my own hat.

kde_at_, has already found the problem. Turns out
konsole will crash in recent -CURRENT (post-15 august) if you have a hostname
longer than 16 characters because of a change in gethostname (I guess). Sorry
to point at threads_at_ :). So, to have a working Konsole at this moment with
libkse, you have to get Michael's patch and a hostname shorter than 16
characters.

Best regards,

Arjan