Re: recover superblock

From: Jeremy Messenger <mezz7_at_cox.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 15:05:15 -0500
On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 15:53:26 -0400 (EDT), Andre Guibert de Bruet
<andy_at_siliconlandmark.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 24 Aug 2003, Jeremy Messenger wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 21:26:11 +0200, Thomas Gutzler <giggel_at_hadiko.de>
>> wrote:
>>
>> I have lost over 1,000 to 2,000 emails like three times when the Nvidia
>> driver crashed and had to do the power off and on to get it boot to let
>> the
>> fsck background do the job. Yesterday, I CVSup'ed and did the buildworld
>> update my -CURRENT. I got panic and reboot; first time I see the same
>> message above, 'softupdate inconsistency' and I had to ran fsck by
>> manual.
>> After that, I discovered that my /var/, /compat/linux/ and very little
>> stuff in my home directory have been destroyed. I can't produce the
>> panic
>> anymore so can't really give any help that much now; it was only panic
>> at
>> once for unknown reason.
>>
>> Just want to add in here that you aren't only person in here.
>
> I don't have a solution for you, but I have some sound advice: Don't run
> critical systems on -current. I consider email to fall in that
> category...

I am pretty aware of it and I don't care of those are lost because I always
backup my personal stuff daily. I run everything in bleed edge such as -
CURRENT, Gnome 2.4, VIM-cvs and etc, so I know my risk.

Cheers,
Mezz

--
bsdforums.org 's moderator, mezz.