Re: nfs tranfers hang in state getblck or nfsread

From: Alexander Leidinger <Alexander_at_Leidinger.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 10:29:15 +0200
On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 23:59:58 -0400
Bill Moran <wmoran_at_potentialtech.com> wrote:

> Mike B wrote:
> > I'm running an nfs server from a freebsd 4.8 box and accessing in from a
> > 5.1 client machine. On small transfers I usually have no problems but
> > when I run a high bandwidth task (normalizing audio tracks) the
> > normalize process often gets stuck in the getblck state or nfsread
> > state. The priority on this process is also set to -1.  Has anybody else
> > experienced this problem? Thanks for the input.
>
> I _may_ be seeing a similar problem, but I haven't analyzed it enough to
> be sure yet.
> If so, it's 5.1 client to 4.8 server as you describe.

In this configuration I see a lot of "nfs server ...: is not responding"
and "nfs server ...: is alive again" when I copy large files (e.g. a CD
image). All of them happen in the same second. I haven't looked at the
state or priority of the cp process when this happens.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
            The dark ages were caused by the Y1K problem.

http://www.Leidinger.net                       Alexander _at_ Leidinger.net