IDE DVD playback on 5.1-CURRENT

From: Adam K Kirchhoff <adamk_at_voicenet.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 21:31:45 -0400 (EDT)
I've asked this same question on freebsd-questions an on #freebsd
(freenode), but haven't gotten any answer, so I thought I'd ask on here.

I'm hoping someone can help me out here.

I recently moved a firewire card and DVD drive that had been in my FreeBSD
box to another computer.  I replaced it with an IDE DVD drive.  The
probelm is that now I can't get mplayer or vlc to play any DVDs that had
previously worked with the firewire drive.

I have, of course, made sure that /dev/dvd is a symbolic link to /dev/acd0
instead of /dev/cd0 (as it used to be).  The only difference that I can
think of is that FreeBSD sees the firewire drive as a scsi drive and sees
the ide drive as an ide drive.

Is DVD playback just not supported on IDE drives on FreeBSD -CURRENT?

I've grabbed the output from mplayer and the dump from ktrace/kdump and
posted them at:

http://memory.visualtech.com/kdump.txt (975 kB)
http://memory.visualtech.com/mplayer.txt (1 kB)

>From mplayer.txt, you see that it's complaing:

"Couldn't open DVD device: /dev/dvd"

Now /dev/dvd is a symlink to /dev/acd0:

[ adamk_at_sorrow - /usr/home/adamk ]: ls -l /dev/dvd
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  3 Aug 25 15:54 /dev/dvd -> /dev/acd0

And /dev/acd0 looks like:

[ adamk_at_sorrow - /usr/home/adamk ]: ls -l /dev/acd0
crw-r--r--  1 root  operator  117,   0 Aug 25 15:36 /dev/acd0

Note:  user 'adamk' is part of the 'operator' group.  In addition, as you
can see from the mplayer.txt file, I've tried this as root just in case
there's some strange permission thing going on.  Still no luck.

Adam