Re: IDE DVD playback on 5.1-CURRENT

From: John Kennedy <warlock_at_jk.homeunix.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 17:22:32 -0700
On Tue, Aug 26, 2003 at 09:31:45PM -0400, Adam K Kirchhoff wrote:
> I've asked this same question on freebsd-questions an on #freebsd
> (freenode), but haven't gotten any answer, so I thought I'd ask on here.
> Is DVD playback just not supported on IDE drives on FreeBSD -CURRENT?

  This is dated impressions, but ~2 years ago SCSI definitely had better
support than IDE.  My impression was that SCSI had more standardization
and was easier for people to write code for.

  IMHO, *BSD is doing the right thing by making things look like SCSI
(like my USB keyfob-drive, DVD drive over Firewire, etc) and it gets
better support by presenting them as SCSI.

  Take that support away by going native IDE and then you're at the mercy
of a specialized device driver that gets a lot less eyeballing.