Re: nfs tranfers hang in state getblck or nfsread

From: Robert Watson <rwatson_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 09:06:41 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 27 Aug 2003, Pawel Worach wrote:

> >In this configuration I see a lot of "nfs server ...: is not responding"
> >and "nfs server ...: is alive again" when I copy large files (e.g. a CD
> >image). All of them happen in the same second. I haven't looked at the
> >state or priority of the cp process when this happens.
>
> I have seen this too and i can reproduce it. I have a diskless client
> and if i unplug the power and boot it up again i see the "nfs server not
> responding" messages for every filesystem being mounted. Both client and
> server are of course FreeBSD-current, i have seen this for about four
> mounts now.

I have a very similar configuration, but it sounds like I'm not bumping
into the same problem.  Are you using NFSv2 or v3, and how many file
systems are you mounting?  Are you generally using UFS1 or UFS2?  Right
now, I'm mounting a single UFS2 file system was the root, and I believe
right now we always mount NFS roots at NFSv2, which could by why I'm not
seeing the same problem...

robert_at_fledge.watson.org      Network Associates Laboratories